Peeps, this is going to be a super quick post. But I have a feeling you might want to know more about these gorgeous dragonfruit bliss balls – since they’re perfect for Valentine’s Day! I mean – they’re pink, they’re quick, they’re delicious and they’re nutritious – so what’s not to like? Give them a go – and hope you have a wonderful day on Sunday, whether or not you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day.
Dragonfruit bliss balls – perfect for Valentine’s Day
I am not sure where along the way Valentine’s Day has become such a controversial day. To me, it’s simply about love. Whether or not you’re with someone, I’ve always thought it was a wonderful opportunity to show love to the people closest to you – whether that’s your partner, your kids, your parents, or friends.
Of course, even better than showing love one day of the year is to give proofs of love every day. But sometimes day to day life takes over and we lose sight of what’s most important – that there’s only love (is anyone else reading/has read The Happiness Project?). And so, having one dedicated day a year to show love is kinda nice.
And if you’d like to do something nice for your loved ones for Valentine’s Day but don’t want to go over the top, making these dragonfruit bliss balls is a nice idea – they are quick, so so pink, healthy and delicious. And you can absolutely share them with the whole family.
Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? If so, how?
What ingredients you need for these dragonfruit bliss balls
The only unusual ingredient in these bliss balls are the dragonfruit chips. Yes, I know – not your usual grocery store fare. But, if you have a Costco membership, chances are that you’ll be able to find these pretty easily. What you’re looking for are dried pink dragonfruit chips, unsweetened.
The rest of the ingredients are more straightforward and you probably have them all in your pantry right now – nuts (raw and/or roasted), maple syrup, nut butter and desiccated coconut.
And that’s it, folks – so go check your local Costco (or search online) and surprise your loved ones! HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY ALL xx
PS: If you can’t find dragonfruit chips, you could sub in other dried fruit chips or try some of my other bliss ball recipes!
Dragonfruit bliss balls [refined sugar free, perfect for Valentine’s Day]
- heaped 1/2 cup (about 60g) dried dragonfruit chips
- boiling water
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp nut butter (I used cashew)
- dessicated coconut (for rolling)
- You will need a food processor for this recipe.
- Place the dragonfruit chips into a medium sized glass bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to one side while you're preparing the rest of the recipe.
- Put the hazelnuts and the almonds into the food processor and blitz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Drain the water from the dragonfruit chips (they should be soft by now – if not, leave them in the water a little longer) and place the drained dragonfruit into the food processor with the nuts. Blitz briefly together.
- Add the maple syrup and cashew butter into the food processor and blitz all until nearly smooth (you want a bit of texture left).
- Place about a cup of the desiccated coconut into a small bowl.
- Spoon out a small quantity of the mixture (about 1 to 1.5 teaspoons worth), roll it into a ball in the palms of your hands and then roll in the desiccated coconut. Place onto a plate or a platter, and continue rolling until the mixture has all been used up.
- Store in the fridge, and try to eat within a week.