When I recently posted my Healthier birthday mini carrot cakes with mango cream cheese frosting recipe, you may recall that I mentioned the mini carrot cakes are also fabulous with different frostings. This roasted strawberry cream cheese frosting is one of the alternatives and it is as tasty as it sounds!
Pink cream cheese frosting with roasted strawberries – perfect for princess (or toy) parties
Believe it or not, I made these mini cakes last year for the kids’ favourite toys’ birthday.
Yep, you read that right. One morning, my (then 5 year old) twins woke up and said it’s their bunny and teddy’s birthday (and, fortunately, in true twin style, the toys’ pretend birthday is actually on the same day so at least I was not asked to make two lots of cakes!) and they would love some cupcakes to celebrate. So, what do you do – you bake some and you frost them with this gorgeous roasted strawberry cream cheese icing because, as we all know, toys love pink frosting.
Healthier cakes and frosting
Similarly, the roasted strawberry cream cheese frosting is made without any added refined sugar. However, I don’t think you will miss it – it is perfectly delectable and – as an added bonus for all your parents out there – guilt free, especially if you have one of those kids who just loooves to lick off the icing, from not one, not two but let’s say at least three cupcakes in one sitting (and let’s face it, we all have at least one kid like that… or, ehm, a partner)!
Roasting strawberries for this cream cheese frosting
… honestly could not be easier. You pop your strawberries into a pre-heated oven, drizzled with a bit of maple syrup, for about 10 minutes. I find that the blast of hot air gives them a deeper and sweeter strawberry flavour.
When they are lightly roasted, you take them out of the oven, cool them and then blitz them until they’re smooth.
This frosting is perfect for those summer months when your garden is overflowing with sweet juicy strawberries. If this is the season where you are now, I’m not jealous. Really, I’m not (in fact, as I am typing this, on a cold Canberra night, my nose is only mildly frozen). Enjoy!
Roasted strawberry cream cheese frosting [refined sugar free]
- 250 g strawberries
- drizzle of maple syrup
- 250 g cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 150 g butter, melted
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 220C. Place your strawberries into a baking dish and drizzle with the maple syrup. Roast for about 10 minutes.
- Take the strawberries out of the oven and let cool completely. This should give you about 175g of roasted strawberries.
- When the strawberries are completely cool, process them in a food processor until smooth.
- Melt the butter and mix the rice malt syrup into the warm butter – it blends in easier. Let cool slightly.
- Place all the ingredients (roasted strawberry mixture, cream cheese, butter with rice malt syrup, cinnamon and vanilla if using) into a bowl and whisk either with a whisk or a handheld mixer, until smooth.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag with a large piping tip and frost the cooled mini cakes.
This frosting is perfect for my healthier mini carrot cakes (i.e. my version of birthday cupcakes), the recipe for which you can find here. Or feel free to use it on your favourite cupcakes.
This recipe will make enough frosting for about 12 to 18 mini cakes, depending on how much frosting you pipe on.