“The green mush”?
We love the good old “green mush” at our house. This is what we call the mixture of fresh green avocado and cooked green peas, flavoured by a small squeeze of minced garlic.
Suitable from babies up
It’s so so simple that it’s not really a recipe – more like a tip or suggestion as to what your kids might like to try. It’s suitable for babies who are just starting on solids (and for them, mush the peas well and don’t be too heavy-handed with the garlic) but it’s great for kids of all ages and adults too.
I turn to this as a side often when we’re eating pizza or sandwiches or any sort of meal where I feel more veggies are needed, and it’s also a great way to use up your avocadoes which are getting a little too soft.
Lunch box friendly
Finally, this makes a good little addition to the kids’ lunch box but just needs a little squeeze of lemon juice, to stop the avocado from browning – otherwise the kids will open their lunch box to a somewhat less appetising brown mush with green peas (enough said).
I hope your family loves this little gem as much as we do!
The (super healthy) green mush
- 1 large or 2 small avocados
- a squeeze of garlic paste (about 1 clove worth)
- about 1/2 to 1 cup frozen green peas (cooked)
- a squeeze of lemon juice (optional, if using the following day)
- Cook your frozen peas in boiling water for a few minutes (you want them cooked but not overcooked). When they are cooked, drain the cooking water and rinse them with fresh cold water, to cool them down and stop the cooking process.
- Mash your avocado(s) with a fork until smooth (a few small lumps are fine).
- Mix the garlic paste into the avocado. I put in about a clove's worth but you can put in less or more, depending on your child's taste.
- Mix in the peas, mashing them with a fork as you go.
- If you're using this for a lunch box the next day, mix in the lemon juice, to stop the avocado(s) from browning.
- And that's it! Enjoy with meats, pizza, sandwiches – any meal you think could do with a delicious healthy veggie side!